- This site and article don’t recommend outing though the state of emergency was lifted. Make your decision with extreme care.
- This site cannot guarantee your safety.
- The information in this post subject to be changed.
- This site is not responsible for any disadvantages you have at all.
- Breaking News 2022年最新情報
- Food, game, and souvenir stands in Yoiyama
- Traffic regulations for pedestrians
- What is Yoiyama? 宵山とは
- Hiyori Kagura 日和神楽
- Kaisyo Kazeri 会所飾りの有無
- When would we go the Yoiyama?
- Access to Yoiyama
Breaking News 2022年最新情報
The following is a schedule of Saki Matsuri of Gion Matsuri 2022.
- Saki Matsuri・・・7/14～7/16
7/16 Yoi Yama 宵山
Around 16:00. オニのようにcrowded though Yoiyama has not yet started.
At 18:00. The regulation is in effect. So many people, we are in 修羅場(syuraba, toughest situation).
We’ve got a lot of food sands today.
7/15 Yoi Yoi Yama 宵々山
Yoi Miya Sai宵宮祭
Now the Deities are on Mikoshis and ready for outing.
Yoi Yoi Yama 宵々山
Yoiyama area is so crowded as usual year.
There were a few Food stands.
7/14 Yoi Yoi Yoi Yama 宵々々山
Breaking report, 合掌
- NO traffic regulations are in effect but lots of police officer are there.
- We cannot stay around Naginata Hoko, and Kanko Hoko.
- At 19:00, Chimaki of Naginata Hoko are sold out.
- We can get 4 Goshuin stamps at Kanko Hoko.
- At Yamabushi Yama Kaisho, we can admire brad-new Mizuhikis (somthing like carpets decolate floats.) . Buy something at Yamabushiyama to see them. Usual year, we exercise Chinowakuguri but it’s not available this year due to COVID-19. 3 types of Goshuin stamps are available.
- Ofune Hoko Kaisho is open in Sakimatsuri. Goshuin stamps and souvenirs are available. This year, Ofune Hoko parades with a golden dragon. It makes Ryuto Gekishu with Fune Hoko.
- At Toroyama Kaisyo, most of all T-shrits are sold out.
- It takes about 90 minutes to see all of Yamahoko floats except Hosho Yama. It will take much more time on 15th and 16th.
- In Yoiyama, it’s hot because there are lots of people around us. Take water or smth when feeling thirsty.
Make sure what Ryuto Gekishu boats are.
Typical Sakimatsuri bleu. We cannot expect this in Atomatsuri.
Shijo street is not crowede as expected.
So is Yoiyama area.
Kanko Hoko has 4 types Goshiin stamps. 1 and 2 is available any other years except ”令和四年.” ”令和四年” is our Imperial year. Get both of them at a Tent located east to Kanko Hoko. 3 is available at the one to located west to it. 4 is available at the one to located west to it. Each one of them is 300 JPY.
4 is peculiar. Soラブリー( Rabu Ry, lovely)
- 7/16 is the most crowded day in Yoiyama days.
- Remember: Have Goshuin, Chimaki, and others by 18:00.
- The stores in Hoko machi, you could get many things on sale.
- Do not go Yoiyama by bus. Trains are recommended.
Food, game, and souvenir stands in Yoiyama
Kyoto prefectural police department said nearly 600 stalls asked permission. Usually, we can find most of them near the brown lines in the map.
Traffic regulations for pedestrians
In effect 18:00～23:00 on 7/15 and 7/16
In 2022, Yoiyama nights take place for the 1st time in 3 years and would be SOOOOO CROWDED.
Get Yoiyama map
Hankyu Karasuma sta. or Subway Shijo sta. is the perfect station to get to Hokomachi. These stations are located underground. Go to Shijo street by way of “EXIT 23(出口23).”
You’ll be the place indicated in the red circle. Information center is located there. Have a free map(s).
Before the traffic regulations 交通規制開始前
Do you want to see all of Yamahoko floats on 7/15 or 16? Be there before 18:00.
- 7/14: Crowded. 7/15: So Crowded. 7/16日: 鬼のようにCROWDED.
- Naginat Hoko is the most popular float. Chimaki and souvenirs are sold out easily.
- Tsukihoko and Toro Yama (especially t-shrit and Tenugui hand towel), too.
- Kanko Hoko has 3 place for Goshuin stamps.
- Fune Hoko sells lots of souvenirs. Handwritten Goshuin stamps are available.
- Hosho Yama is an only floats with Goriyaku of Enmusubi.
- Toro Yama
After the traffic regulations 交通規制開始後
- Start at Naginata Hoko. Follow the black line.
- Visit floats in the area encircled in the red. In this area, we have no traffic regulations.
- In front of Kakkyo Yama, follow the blue line.
This is the shortest way.
What is Yoiyama? 宵山とは
Yoiyama means a kind of small festivals held a few days before in Hokomachi.
Hokomachi is a district where we can find Yamaboko floats. As seen in the photo above, there are many paper lanterns hanging on Yamaboko floats.
Yoiyama is preparation for Mikoshi and Yamaboko parade. It still reminds secret when it started but Gion Groyo-e Saiki, a book on Gion Goryo-e (the former name of Gion matsuri.), tells us it began in the 18th century.
Today, the word Yoiyama has two meanings; The three consecutive days before Yamaboko parade, and the eve of the parade.
In Saki Matsuri, Yamahoko parade is on 17th. We call 16th Yoiyama, 15th Yoiyoiyama, and 14th Yoiyoiyoiyama precisely.
In this article, we call the nights of 14~16th Yoiyama.
In Yoiyama, we can see paper lanterns hanging on Yamaboko floats, enjoy Ohayashi music, and have Chimaki amulet and Goshuin stamps at Kaisyo, a kind of head office of Yamaboko floats. At many Kaisho, we can enjoy ornaments of Yamahoko. It is called “Kaisyo Kazari.” Most of them are put on Yamaboko floats on the very day of Yamaboko parade.
What is Gion Matsuri?
- Why celebrated?
- Why Gion matsuri started in the private garden of emperors? (It is a post of the rock garden of Ryoanji and shows you the meaning of Japanese garden.)
- Gozu tenno and epidemics
- Mikoshis of Gion Matsuri
- When Yamahoko parade started?
- How to make Yamahoko floats?
- All the Yamahoko floats
- Sakimatsuri Yoiyama
- Atomatsuri Yoiyama
Hiyori Kagura 日和神楽
Around midnight of 7/16, Ohayashi musicians of floats pay a visit to Otabisho to pray the success of Yamahoko parade.
The musicians of Naginata Hoko visit Yaska shrine instead.
Kaisyo Kazeri 会所飾りの有無
Naginata Hoko, Kikusui Hoko, Tsuki Hoko, Toro Yama, Shijo Kasa Hoko, and Taisiyama don’t offer Kaisho Kazari.
When would we go the Yoiyama?
In daytime or night
If you wanted Chimaki, Goshuin stamp, and other things at Kaisyo, it would be better go there in daytime though Yoi of Yoiyama means “night.” At night, many people visited Kaisyo and it might take time to have these things.
We have hot days in daytime usually. Prepare for them!
In daytime, buy the things you want and enjoy Yamahoko floats, paper lanterns and Kaisyo Kazari.
We have two matsrui in Gion matsuri; Saki matsruri and Ato matsuri. In Ato matsuri, the twilight reminds of us autumn though we are in the midst of summer.
In Ato matsuri, we have car-free zones only around Yamaboko floats. And we don’t have one-way roads.
Go anywhere you want!
Access to Yoiyama
In Kyoto, we usually take bus to go to our destination but it would be better to take trains in Yoiyama period.
The bus routes are changed to avoid Hokomachi.
Following are the stations near Hokomachi (the enclosed area in blue line);
Kyoto City Subway Shijo station(the blue train on the map), Hankyu Karasuma station (the red train), and Keihan Shijo Kawaramachi station (the green train).