- 2#1 Toji temple 東寺
- 2.2The night illumination of Toji temple
- 2.3Dates and opening hours
- 2.4About Toji temple
- 2.5How to get to Toji temple?
- 3#2 Tenjuan temple 天授庵
- 3.2The night illumination of Tenjuan temple
- 3.2.1The Zen garden 本堂前庭 （枯山水庭園）
- 3.2.2The stroll garden 書院南庭園（池泉式回遊庭園）
- 3.3Dates and opening hours
- 3.4About Tenju-an
- 3.5How to get to Tenju-an temple?
- 4#3 Eikando a.k.a. Zenrinji temple 永観堂（禅林寺）
- 4.2The night illumination of Eikando
- 4.3Dates and opening hours
- 4.4About Eikando temple
- 4.5How to get to Eikando temple?
- 4.5.1From JR Kyoto station
- 4.5.2Kyoto city bus
- 5#4 Konkai Komyoji temple 金戒光明寺
- 5.2The night illumination of Konkai Komyoji temple
- 5.3Dates and opening hours
- 5.4About Konkai Komyoji
- 5.5How to get to Konkai Komyoji temple?
- 6#5 Kiano tenmangu shrine 北野天満宮
- 6.2The night illumination of Kitano tenmangu shrine
- 6.3Dates and opening hours
- 6.4About Kitano Tenmangu shrine
- 6.5How to get to Kitano Tenmangu shrine?
- 7#6 Kiyomizu-dera temple 清水寺
- 7.2The night illumination of Kiyomizu-dera temple
- 7.2.1The main hall before the renovation
- 7.2.2The main hall under renovation
- 7.3Dates and opening hours
- 7.4About Kiyomizu-dera temple
- 7.5How to get to Kiyomizu-dera temple?
- 8#7 Hogoin temple 宝厳院
- 8.2The night illumination of Hogonin
- 8.3Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 8.4How to get to Hogonin temple?
- 9#8 Yasaka shrine 八坂神社
- 9.1The night illumination of Yasaka shrine
- 9.2Dates and opening hours
- 9.3About Yaska shrine
- 9.4How to get to Yasaka shrine?
- 10#9 Korinin temple 興臨院
- 10.2The night illumination of Korinin temple
- 10.3Dates and opening hours
- 10.4About Korin-in
- 10.5How to get to Korinin temple?
- 11#10 Seiryu-den and Shogun-zuka hill 将軍塚青龍殿
- 11.2The night illumination of Seiryu-den and Shogun-zuka hill
- 11.3The glass tea house ガラスの茶室
- 11.4Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 11.5How to get to Seiryu-den and Shogun-zuka?
- 12#11 Rurikoin temple 瑠璃光院
- 12.1The night illumination of Rurikoin temple
- 12.2The night illumination of Rurikoin temple
- 12.3Rurikoin temple is so crowded
- 12.4Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 12.5About Rurikoin temple
- 12.6How to get to Rurikoin temple?
- 13#12 Syorenin temple 青蓮院
- 13.1The night illumination of Syorenin temple
- 13.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 13.4How to get to Syorenin temple?
- 14#13 Kodaiji temple 高台寺
- 14.1The night illumination of Kodaiji temple
- 14.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 14.3About Kodaiji temple
- 14.4How to get to Kodaiji temple?
- 15#14 Entokuin temple 圓徳院
- 15.1The night illumination of Entokuin temple
- 15.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 15.4How to get to Entokuin temple?
- 16#15位 Daikakuji temple 大覚寺
- 16.1The night illumination of Daikakuji temple
- 16.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 16.3About Daikakuji
- 16.4How to get to Daikakuji temple?
- 17#16 Mansyuin temple 曼殊院
- 17.1The night illumination of Mansyuin temple
- 17.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 17.4How to get to Mansyuin temple?
- 18#17 Chionin temple 知恩院
- 18.1The night illumination of Chionin temple
- 18.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 18.4How to get to Chionin temple?
- 19#18 Syorinji temple 勝林寺
- 19.1The night illumination of Syorinji temple
- 19.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 19.3About Syorinji temple
- 19.4How to get to Syorinji temple?
- 20#19 Byodoin temple 平等院鳳凰堂
- 20.1The night illumination of Byodoin temple
- 20.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 20.3About Byodo-in temple
- 20.4How to get to Byodoin temple?
#4 Konkai Komyoji temple 金戒光明寺
Konkai Komyoji is one of the most overlooked autumn leaves spots in Kyoto. Only so-called Kyoto-enthusiasts pay visit there. It has so stunning night illumination in fall.
The night illumination of Konkai Komyoji temple
Konkai Komyoji stands on a hill. We have a good view of Kyoto city. At twilight in fall, see the sun setting.
The Sanmon gate is illuminated. There are the maple trees in bright red in front of it.
The best Sanmon illuminated.
Konkai Komyoji has a pond and of course Mizukagami. It is as amazing as that of Toji.
Dates and opening hours
Dates: From 9th November to 2nd December
Opening hours: 18：00～21：00
Entrance fee 800 yen
About Konkai Komyoji
Official name: Shiun-zan Konkai Komyoji 紫雲山金戒光明寺
De facto name: Kurodani-san 黒谷さん
Address: 121 Kurodani cho , Sakyo ward, Kyoto city, 〒606-8331
Phone no. 075-771-2201
Fax no. 075-771-0836
Official Website : Konkai Komyoji official(Japanese language only)
Time requried 1 hour~
How to get to Konkai Komyoji temple?
Kyoto city bus
No.2、93、203、204 Okazeki Jinjya mae bus stop
#5 Kiano tenmangu shrine 北野天満宮
Kitano tenmangu enshrines Sugawarano Michizane, the most learned person in Japanese history and popular among students. It has one of the most beautiful autumn leaves. It is one of the most underrated places and is always not crowded.
The night illumination of Kitano tenmangu shrine
Kitano tenmangu started night illumination a couple of years ago. Maple leaves are in extraordinary red and vermilion.
Dates and opening hours
They are not announced officially yet. Check the official website. Night illumination takes place when maple trees are in bloom.
About Kitano Tenmangu shrine
Name: Kitano Tenmangu 北野天満宮
Adress Bakurocho, Kamigyo ward, Kyoto city
Phone No. 075-461-0005
FAX No. 075-461-6556
Website Kitano Tenmangu official
Entrance fee: Free
Time required 1hour～
How to get to Kitano Tenmangu shrine?
Kyoto City Bus
No.50、101、102、203 Kitano tenmangu mae bus stop.
Randen (Keifuku rail way) Kitano Hakubaico station.
#6 Kiyomizu-dera temple 清水寺
The most popular destination for tourists. The roof of the main hall is now under renovation and covered in a cage. It will end in 2020.
This is the Kiyomizu-dera in this spring. In this fall, it would looks like this.
The night illumination of Kiyomizu-dera temple
The main hall before the renovation
So amazing, baah!
The main hall under renovation
The cage covers the main hall like this.
Look up the stage. A few people try to see it from the foot of it.
Kiyomizu-dera temple is illuminated in bright red. Enjoy the pagoda with maple leaves.
From the west gate (the right gate in the 2nd photo), have a good view.
Dates and opening hours
Dates: From 17th November to 2nd December
Opening hours: 17:30 〜 21:00
Entrance fee 400 yen
About Kiyomizu-dera temple
Official name: Otowazan Kiyomizu-dera 音羽山清水寺
Address: Kiyomizu cho 1-294, Higashiyama ward, Kyoto city, Kyoto pref.
Phone no. 075-551-1234
FAX no. 075-551-1287
Website; Kiyomizu-dera official HP
Open hours: Depends on seasons. See Official website.
Time required: 1 hour~
How to get to Kiyomizu-dera temple?
Fall is high season. Many people migrated to Kyoto to admire autumn leaves around the world. Usually, we head for Kiyomizu michi or Gojozaka bus stops to get to Kiyomizu-dera.
In high season, we head for Shijo Kawaramachi or Gion bus stops instead. We also take train to get to Kiyomizu-dera temple. Keihan Gion shijo station, Kiyomizu Gojo station, and Hankyu Kawaramachi station.
Kiyomizu michi and Gojozaka bus stops are not available! Crowded!