- 2#1 Toji temple 東寺
- 2.2The night illumination of Toji temple
- 2.3Dates and opening hours
- 2.4About Toji temple
- 2.5How to get to Toji temple?
- 3#2 Tenjuan temple 天授庵
- 3.2The night illumination of Tenjuan temple
- 3.2.1The Zen garden 本堂前庭 （枯山水庭園）
- 3.2.2The stroll garden 書院南庭園（池泉式回遊庭園）
- 3.3Dates and opening hours
- 3.4About Tenju-an
- 3.5How to get to Tenju-an temple?
- 4#3 Eikando a.k.a. Zenrinji temple 永観堂（禅林寺）
- 4.2The night illumination of Eikando
- 4.3Dates and opening hours
- 4.4About Eikando temple
- 4.5How to get to Eikando temple?
- 4.5.1From JR Kyoto station
- 4.5.2Kyoto city bus
- 5#4 Konkai Komyoji temple 金戒光明寺
- 5.2The night illumination of Konkai Komyoji temple
- 5.3Dates and opening hours
- 5.4About Konkai Komyoji
- 5.5How to get to Konkai Komyoji temple?
- 6#5 Kiano tenmangu shrine 北野天満宮
- 6.2The night illumination of Kitano tenmangu shrine
- 6.3Dates and opening hours
- 6.4About Kitano Tenmangu shrine
- 6.5How to get to Kitano Tenmangu shrine?
- 7#6 Kiyomizu-dera temple 清水寺
- 7.2The night illumination of Kiyomizu-dera temple
- 7.2.1The main hall before the renovation
- 7.2.2The main hall under renovation
- 7.3Dates and opening hours
- 7.4About Kiyomizu-dera temple
- 7.5How to get to Kiyomizu-dera temple?
- 8#7 Hogoin temple 宝厳院
- 8.2The night illumination of Hogonin
- 8.3Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 8.4How to get to Hogonin temple?
- 9#8 Yasaka shrine 八坂神社
- 9.1The night illumination of Yasaka shrine
- 9.2Dates and opening hours
- 9.3About Yaska shrine
- 9.4How to get to Yasaka shrine?
- 10#9 Korinin temple 興臨院
- 10.2The night illumination of Korinin temple
- 10.3Dates and opening hours
- 10.4About Korin-in
- 10.5How to get to Korinin temple?
- 11#10 Seiryu-den and Shogun-zuka hill 将軍塚青龍殿
- 11.2The night illumination of Seiryu-den and Shogun-zuka hill
- 11.3The glass tea house ガラスの茶室
- 11.4Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 11.5How to get to Seiryu-den and Shogun-zuka?
- 12#11 Rurikoin temple 瑠璃光院
- 12.1The night illumination of Rurikoin temple
- 12.2The night illumination of Rurikoin temple
- 12.3Rurikoin temple is so crowded
- 12.4Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 12.5About Rurikoin temple
- 12.6How to get to Rurikoin temple?
- 13#12 Syorenin temple 青蓮院
- 13.1The night illumination of Syorenin temple
- 13.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 13.4How to get to Syorenin temple?
- 14#13 Kodaiji temple 高台寺
- 14.1The night illumination of Kodaiji temple
- 14.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 14.3About Kodaiji temple
- 14.4How to get to Kodaiji temple?
- 15#14 Entokuin temple 圓徳院
- 15.1The night illumination of Entokuin temple
- 15.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 15.4How to get to Entokuin temple?
- 16#15位 Daikakuji temple 大覚寺
- 16.1The night illumination of Daikakuji temple
- 16.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 16.3About Daikakuji
- 16.4How to get to Daikakuji temple?
- 17#16 Mansyuin temple 曼殊院
- 17.1The night illumination of Mansyuin temple
- 17.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 17.4How to get to Mansyuin temple?
- 18#17 Chionin temple 知恩院
- 18.1The night illumination of Chionin temple
- 18.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 18.4How to get to Chionin temple?
- 19#18 Syorinji temple 勝林寺
- 19.1The night illumination of Syorinji temple
- 19.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 19.3About Syorinji temple
- 19.4How to get to Syorinji temple?
- 20#19 Byodoin temple 平等院鳳凰堂
- 20.1The night illumination of Byodoin temple
- 20.2Dates and opening hours of night illumination
- 20.3About Byodo-in temple
- 20.4How to get to Byodoin temple?
In this article, I’ll show you top 19 sites to enjoy autumn leaves illumination in Kyoto; Toji temple, Tenjuan temple, Eikando temple, Konkaikomyoji temple, Kiyano tenmangu shrine, Kiyomizu-dera temple, Hogonin temple, Yasaka shrine, Korinin temple, Shogun-zuka Seiryuden, Rurikoin temple, Syorenin temple, Kodaiji temple, Entokuin temple, Daikakuji temple, Mansyuin temple, Chionin temple, Syorinji temple, and Byodoin temple.
You can learn what to see in each site, opening hours, entrance fee, and the ways to get there.
The information on opening hours, entrance fee, and so on is subject to be changed. Pls check official website of each shrine and temple to make sure of them.
#1 Toji temple 東寺
Toji temple is one of two Buddhist temples officially built in Heiankyo city. In the 9th century, it was given to Kokai, the founder of Shingon school Buddhism.
The night illumination of Toji temple
The most amazing thing is Mizukagami. Mizukagami is an art to admire reflection on water. There is a pond named Hyotanike in Toji temple. In autumn, its surface is so calm that we can enjoy extraordinary Mizukagami. We can find Mizukagami in many places but that of Toji is the best.
Enjoy the bright red leaves against the pagoda. It is constructed as a donation in the Edo period (1603– 1868) by Tokugawa Iyemitsu, the 3rd Shogun of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
Dates and opening hours
Dates: From 27th November to 9th December
Opening hours: 18:30～21:30
Entrance fee 1000 yen
About Toji temple
Name Kyooh Gokokuji 教王護国寺
De facto name Toji 東寺
Adress 1 Kujo cho, Mimami ward, Kyoto city 〒601-8473
Phone No. 075-691-3325
Fax No. 075-662-0250
Website Toji official
Time required 1h~
How to get to Toji temple?
About 15 minutes walk from JR Kyoto station: Red train annotation
Kyoto City bus
No. 205 Toji michi bus stop: Blue bus annotations.
No. 207 Toji Higashi mon mae bus stop: Red bus annotations.
#2 Tenjuan temple 天授庵
Tenjuan enshrines the founder of Nanzenji temple. It has two gardens; Zen garden and stroll garden. We can visit the main hall though we cannot enter it in daytime.
The night illumination of Tenjuan temple
The Zen garden 本堂前庭 （枯山水庭園）
The autumn leaves in Tenjuan are illuminated with warmth. We cannot expect such warmth any other place in Kyoto.
The stroll garden 書院南庭園（池泉式回遊庭園）
At night, we admire the stroll garden from the main hall. We catch a glimpse of bamboo trees behind the maple trees. We cannot stroll around the garden though we can in daytime.
Dates and opening hours
They are not announced officially yet.
Dates: From 15th November to 30th November
Opening hours: 17:00～21:00
Entrance fee 500 yen
Official name: Zuiho-zan Tenju-an 瑞龍山天授庵
Address: Nanzenji Fukujicho, Sakyo ward, Kyoto city, 〒606-8435
Phone no. 075-771-0744
Official Website : Not available.
Open hours : 8:40~17:00
Entrance admission fee :Adult 400yen
Time requried 1 hour~
How to get to Tenju-an temple?
About 10 minutes walk from Kyoto City subway Keage station.
#3 Eikando a.k.a. Zenrinji temple 永観堂（禅林寺）
Eikando temple is the most famous and popular atumn leaves spot in Kyoto. It has about 3,000 maple trees in its area.
The night illumination of Eikando
At night visit, people wait in line in front of the entrance. It would be better to be there before 5:30.
Eikando also has beautiful Mizukagami.
Enjoy the video. Eikando is beyond description.
Dates and opening hours
Dates: From 3rd November to 2nd December
Opening hours: 17:30～20:30
Entrance fee 600 yen
About Eikando temple
Name: Syujuu Raigozan Muryojyuin Zenrinji 聖衆来迎山無量寿院禅林寺
De facto name: Eikando temple
Adress Eikando cho 84, Sakyo ward, Kyoto city, 〒606-8445
Phone No. 075-761-0007
Website Eikando official
Time required 1hour～
How to get to Eikando temple?
From JR Kyoto station
At subway Kyoto station, take Karasuma line to Karasuma Oike station. At Karasuma Oike station, change train to subway Tozai line to Keage station. It takes about 15 minutes from Keage station to Eikando.
Kyoto city bus
NO.5 Nanzenji Eikando michi bus stop.
No.32、93、100、102、203、204 Higashi temno cho bus stop.
Attention In the autumn leaves season, buses, mostly No.5、100、102 are often crowded. It would be better to go to Eikando by train. If you wanted more information, check the link below.