- 2Schedule of Gion matsuri festival
- 2.1Nagoshi no harae (夏越の祓), 30th June
- 2.1.1Chinowa Kuguri
- 2.1.2Minatsuki (水無月)
- 2.2The parade of commemorating the new Imperial era and 1150th anniversarry of Gion matsuri.
- 2.3Kipu-iri 吉符入, 1st July
- 2.4Naginataboko cho Osendo 長刀鉾町お千度, 1st of July
- 2.5Decision of the order of Yamahoko parade, 2nd July
- 2.5.1The order of 2019
- 126.96.36.199Sakimatsuri (前祭)
- 188.8.131.52Atomatsuri (後祭)
- 2.6Yamanoko Rengokai visit Yasaka shrine 山鉾連合会社参 2nd of July
- 2.7Funeboko cho Shinmen Aratame 船鉾町神面改め 2nd of July
- 2.8Building Yamahokos, (鉾建て)10th July
- 2.8.1The construction of Hoko
- 2.9The Chigomai performance of Naginataboko 長刀鉾町稚児舞披露 5th July
- 2.10Naginataboko cho Osendo 長刀鉾町お千度, 1st of July
- 2.11Chigo of Ayagasaboko visit Yasaka shrine 綾傘鉾稚児社参 7th July
- 2.12Gion Sagimai dance performance 津和野に継承された祇園祭鷺舞神事の里帰りご奉納 6th and 7th of July
- 2.13Naginataboko Heisokukiri 長刀鉾幣切 10th July
- 2.14Nabibnatabokocho Haitai no Gi 長刀鉾町拝戴の儀 10the July
- 2.15Takahashi cho Shasan 高橋町社参 10th July
- 2.1Purification of water for rituals (神用水清祓式), 10th July
- 2.2Reception with paper lantern (お迎え提灯), 10th July
- 2.2.1General info.
- 2.2.2Umaosa 馬長
- 2.2.3Sagimai dance performance 鷺舞（さぎまい）/鷺踊
- 2.3Purification of portable shrine (神輿洗式), 10th July
- 2.4Building Yamahokos, (鉾建て) 10th July
- 2.5Hikizome, (曳初め) 12th July
- 2.6Iki-Chigos of Nginata boko pay a visit to Yasaka shrine. 13th July
- 2.7Kuze Komagata chigos pay a visit to Yasaka shrine. (久世駒形稚児社参) 13th July
- 2.8Kikusuiboko Chakai 菊水鉾茶会 13th~16th
- 2.1Yoiyama festival of Sakimatsuri (前祭 宵山) from 14 to 16th July
- 2.1.1The must-see 1 "Byobu matsuri (屏風祭)"
- 2.1.2The must-see 2 "Kaisho kazari (会所飾り)"
- 2.1.3The must-see 3 "Gion bayashi (祇園囃子)"
- 2.1.4The must-see 4 "On Yamaboko (鉾にのる)"
- 2.1.5The must-see 5 "Souvenirs (授与品)"
- 2.1.6The must-see 6 "Gosyuin (御朱印)"
- 2.1.7The must-see 7 "Paper lanterns of midnight (夜の駒形提灯)"
- 2.2Imidake Tate 斎竹建て 15th July
- 2.3Mitarai ido biraki 御手洗井戸開 15th July
- 2.4Ikamaryu Hocho Hono 生間流式包丁奉納 15th July
- 2.5Demto Geino Hono 伝統芸能奉納 15th July
- 2.6Yoimiya sai (宵宮祭) 15th July
- 2.7Hiyori Kagura (日和神楽) 16th July
- 2.8Kencha sai 献茶祭 16th July
- 2.9Hoen Sensyoji Masakaki Tate 豊園泉正寺真榊建 16th July
- 2.10Yoimiya Shinho Hono Gyoji 宵宮神賑奉納行事 16th July
- 2.11Iwami Kagura 石見神楽 16th July
- 2.12Yamaboko float parade (山鉾巡行) 17th July
- 2.13Shinko sai (神幸祭) 17th July
- 2.14Mikoshi Togyo (神輿渡御) 17th July
- 2.1Building Yamaboko floats (鉾山建て) 17th July
- 2.2Yoiyama festival of Atomatsuri (後祭 宵山) from 21 to 23th July
- 2.2.1Recommendation 1 Byobu-matsuri
- 2.2.2Recommendation 2 "Kaisyo", the Yamahoko headquarters
- 184.108.40.206Koiyama 鯉山
- 220.127.116.11Hachimanyama 八幡山
- 18.104.22.168Kuronusiyama 黒主山
- 2.3Sencha Kencha sai 煎茶献茶祭 23th July
- 2.4Biwa Hono 琵琶奉納 23th July
- 2.5Matatabisha Ohaek Kiyoharae Shiki 又旅社オハケ清祓式 23th
- 2.6En no Gyojyayama Gomadaki Kuyo 役行者山護摩焚供養 23th
- 2.7Abare kannnon あばれ観音 23th of July
- 2.8Hanagasa parade (花傘巡行) 24th July
- 2.9Yamahoko parade (山鉾巡行) 24th July
- 2.10Kanko sai (還幸祭) 24th July
- 2.11Purification of water for rituals (神用水清祓式), 28th July
- 2.12Purification of portable shrine (神輿洗式), 28th July
- 2.13Sinjizumi Hokokusai 神事済奉告祭 7月29日
- 2.14Nagoshi Sai at Eki shrine (疫神社夏越祭), 31th July
Building Yamaboko floats (鉾山建て) 17th July
Building of Yamohoko floats for Atomatsuri starts.
Kita-kannnon-yama, Mimami-kannnon-yama, and Koiyama
Ennogyojya yama, Suzukayama, Kuronushiyama, and Jyomyoyama
Hachimanyama and Hashibenkei-yama
Yoiyama festival of Atomatsuri (後祭 宵山) from 21 to 23th July
Strongly もんげー recommended ズラ！！！
As I indicated, Kami has two aspects and so Yoiyama is. Yoiyama of Atomatsuri carries on in a calm and quiet atmosphere. This reminds us of the traditional Gion matsuri festival took place hundreds of years ago.
Yoiyama starts when twilight arrives. They starts at almost the same time, but the sky is quite different. Enjoy the difference.
Recommendation 1 Byobu-matsuri
As I indicated before, Yamahoko neighbers open up their houses to the visitors during Yoiyama period. Byobu-matsuri in Atomatsuri is very stunning. It must take your breath away.
The aliens indicate the places we can enjoy Byoubu matsuri.
Recommendation 2 “Kaisyo”, the Yamahoko headquarters
Koiyama is based on an ancient Chinese anecdote that a carp climb up the fall called “Dragon gate” and became a dragon. The wooden carp is a Goshintai of Koiyama. It i s believed to bring us prosperity. It is an amazing work of Hidari Jingoro, a famous sculptor in Edo period.
Let us see a Koiyama. It is decorated with beautiful something like curtains. They are pieces of a tapestry made in Belgium around 17th century. When Date Masamune, a general in Tohoku region sent a mission to Pope, he gave the mission five tapestries. Koiyama bought one of them from a temple in Tohoku in 18th century. It was cut into nine pieces to put on Koiyama.
The tapestry shows us a scene of Iliad written by Homer. Gion matsuri has nothing to do with Torojan war. Why Iliad? The answer is very simple. They put the tapestry on Koiyama because it was new to them. Yamahoko has two roles. The one is to gather evil spirits and the other is to entertain Kamis come to the ancient Kyoto city on Mikoshi. The strange tapestry was suitable for the latter role.
Hachimanyama has a shrine emperor Ojin enshrined on it.
A pair of wooden doves right side are also made by Hidari Jingoro.
They are put on Torii gate.
These exquisite cranes are made in Edo period.
The goshintai is Otomo Kuronushi, a famous poet in Heian period.
We can see stunning carpets at Kuronushiyama.
Sencha Kencha sai 煎茶献茶祭 23th July
Cups of Sencha (common tea in Japan) are dedicated in the main hall of Yasaka shrine.
Biwa Hono 琵琶奉納 23th July
Biwa is a traditional stramming instrument in Japan. Compositions played with it at Yasaka shrine.
Matatabisha Ohaek Kiyoharae Shiki 又旅社オハケ清祓式 23th
Ohake is a wooden stick pieces of paper hang on. At Yasakajinnjya Matatabisha, a sub-shrine of Yasaka shrine, three Ohake are prepared for welcoming three Deities of Yasaka shrine.
14:00~ At Yasakajinnjya Matatabisha
En no Gyojyayama Gomadaki Kuyo 役行者山護摩焚供養 23th
Yamabushi is a kind of monk who trains themselves in rural mountain to gain supernatural power. In En no Gyojyayama Gomadaki Kuyo, Yamabushi belong to Shogoin temple make small bonfire to rest the soul of the desceased in peace.
Around 14:00~ In front of Kaisho of En no Gyojya yama
Abare kannnon あばれ観音 23th of July
Minami Kannonoyama has a statue of Yoryukannon as Goshintai. Around midnight, people wrap her with sheets of cloth and put her on a simple Mikoshi to make her “roared.”
Around 23:00~ 大暴れ開始 in front of Minamikanno yama Kaisho
Hanagasa parade (花傘巡行) 24th July
Once Yamahoko parade of Atomatsuri was put together to that of Sakimatsuri , this Hanagasa parade introduced. Yamahoko parade devided into Sakimatsuri and Atomatsuri again i 2017, but Hanagasa parade was not abolished.
Around 10:00~ The parade departs Yasaka shrine
In 2019, Maiko are to dedicate dance performance to commemorate beggining of Reiwa and the 1150th anniversarry of Gion matsuri.
Yamahoko parade (山鉾巡行) 24th July
On the day, the spiris of Kamis go back to Yasaka shrine. Yamahoko parade also take place anew. They took the opposite direction of the Yamahoko parade of Saki matsuri.
Kanko sai (還幸祭) 24th July
Three mikoshis come back to Yasaka shrine. Nakagoza goes there by way of Shinsen-en, where Ginomatsuri festival began some 1,000 years ago.
Purification of water for rituals (神用水清祓式), 28th July
The same ritual as held on the 10th of July is held on the Shijo bridge.
Purification of portable shrine (神輿洗式), 28th July
The same ritual as held on the 10th of July is held to purify mikoshi.
Sinjizumi Hokokusai 神事済奉告祭 7月29日
Prior to the announcement on the 31th, the end of Gion matsuri is reported to the Deities of Yasaka shrine.
Nagoshi Sai at Eki shrine (疫神社夏越祭), 31th July
At Eki shrine, the sub-shrine of Yasaka shrine, people pass through Chino-wa put on to Torii gate and let evil spirits go away. We can have Chigaya plant and make Chinowa with it. Susanono-mikoto saves us from anything evil.
In this ritual the end of Gion matsuri festival is announced.